Want to start a club?
I have been a student here off and on for years. Now that I am retired, I am doing all the courses I was interested in, but which were not required. I see many older students, but I have never found any organizations for older students. Sometimes people just want to be with a group they can relate to. Have I missed it? If there is no such club, could one be started if there is enough interest? I would be glad to help if you need volunteers. Thank you!
Thank you for your questions. I’m so glad you are taking courses you are passionate about. If you can’t find a club that sparks your interest then definitely, start your own club!
It is very easy and it would be amazing to say that you started a club at SPC.
The process is:
- Figure out what your club will be about. When I was at SPC I always thought about starting my own film club at the St. Pete/Gibbs campus. There are so many options, just find something you and potential members are passionate about.
- You need to have at least 6 students interested in joining.
- Find an advisor. You must secure a club sponsor who meets advisor criteria. This advisor can be a professor or staff member who is willing to commit and perform as the club’s advisor.
- Contact your campus’ office of Student Life & Leadership (SL&L) and ask them about what specific paperwork needs to be completed. On different campuses the process is different so make sure you contact your campuses’ SL&L office. This office is in charge of all things student life and they keep a roster of the active clubs and organizations.
- Submit the required paperwork to the SL&L office.
- Once your paperwork in completed and turned in, the office of SL&L will keep you posted on your club status.
Once your club is ready to go, then make sure you secure a space to meet and the meetings times. You can also assign a member to attend SGA meetings and be deemed active on campus, this way you can secure funding for your club’s events and trips. It is a lot of fun to be part of a club and better way than to start your own. Hope these tips help!
Follow Maria at #AskMaria